In Watersmeet of two rivers (Tmaka and Tvertsa) with the Volga, on both banks of the river, the city of Tver is spread out. Tver is the ancient Russian city with the centuries-old history, wearing a proud name of the City of Military Glory. Tver is an administrative center of the Tver region and Kalininsky district where different kinds of the industry are well developed. Tver is one of the cultural and scientific centers of Russia, as well as a large transport hub on crossing of the major railways and highways. The land area is 152.22 km ². Tver, which population makes over 411 thousand persons, is divided into the following districts: Zavolzhsky, Moskovsky, Proletarsky and Tsentralny.
The history of Tver began in the XI century from the small rural settlement which was settled down at Tmaka River, on the right bank of the Volga. Subsequently this settlement has become the trade center. Exact date of the foundation of Tver is unknown, but 1135 is considered to be an official year of foundation of the city. The contract of 1208 between prince Vsevolod and Novgorodians is deemed to be a reliable annalistic source in which Tver has been directly mentioned for the first time. The history of Tver as the capital of the Grand Principality began with the rule of Prince Yaroslav III (Yaroslavich, 1223-1271). The city has been famed by builders, armourers and painters. During the Middle Ages it became one of the main centers of handicraft industry and trade. The city of Tver had also another name. In 1931, it was renamed after M. Kalinin, the Soviet state and party figure who was born in the Tver province. During the World War II the city was occupied by Germans. Part of city buildings has been plundered and destroyed by fascists. Recovery work in the city began after the war was ended. The historical name (Tver) returned to the city in 1990.
Complex historical planning typical for the country Russian towns has remained in modern Tver (radial planning with narrow streets which disperse from the middle - the Kremlin). The historical center of Tver is rich in monuments of architecture. Except architectural sights, there are also a large number of monuments to outstanding scientists, cultural workers and artists, among them are Afanasy Nikitin, A.S. Pushkin, I.A. Krylov, M. E. Saltykov-Shchedrin and many others. There are many religious buildings in Tver (for example, Pokrovsky Cathedral and St. Catherine church, Nativity Church, Church of the Ascension). More than 30 bridges are built in the city, five of them pass through Volga and connect right and left banks of the river. Besides, there is the museum of local lore in the city which ranks among the best regional museums of Russia. Many green plantings such a botanical garden, parks, groves, squares and boulevards decorate Tver which is considered the green city.